- Mondi’s PM19 paper machine at Ružomberok in Slovakia has begun delivering Kraft Top White, an innovative and sustainable new containerboard grade, to customers in Europe.
- Kraft Top White offers a win-win solution with the strength, printability and on-shelf appeal of a white fresh fibre top layer, and a recycled fibre bottom layer.
- The new machine, with a production capacity of 300,000 tonnes per annum, is part of Mondi’s €370 million investment to upgrade the mill and further reduce its environmental footprint.
- The use of more than 200,000 tonnes of paper for recycling from Slovakia per year supports the circular economy by keeping materials in circulation and preventing waste.
Mondi, a global leader in packaging and paper, is supplying customers with its innovative and sustainable containerboard grade made in Slovakia from renewable materials. Kraft Top White combines the strength, printability and appearance benefits of a white fresh fibre top layer with the advantages of a recycled fibre bottom layer.
State-of-the-art paper technology increases strength while reducing weight, making Kraft Top White a compelling solution for the growing European white top liner market for use in shelf-ready packaging, point-of-sale displays, trays, e-commerce packaging, consumer durables and other customised packaging applications. The Ružomberok mill enjoys a central location in the growing European containerboard market and can therefore offer reduced delivery lead times to customers across Europe for these new paper solutions.
Mondi’s annual 300,000 tonnes Kraft Top White capacity is unmatched in Europe. Production of the two Kraft Top White grades – ProVantage Smartwhite and ProVantage Topwhite – has been ramping up since PM19 started-up in January. At full capacity, the machine will use more than 200,000 tonnes of paper for recycling per year (mainly from Slovakia), opening new processing capacities and supporting the circular economy by keeping materials in circulation and preventing waste.
“Mondi’s purpose is to contribute to a better world by making innovative, sustainable packaging and paper solutions. Our new paper machine in Slovakia enables us to offer customers a high-quality new containerboard solution, while further improving the environmental footprint of our Ružomberok mill. Despite the challenges of operating during the pandemic, the local team executed this complex project safely and efficiently, and we are proud of the positive impact that 125 new permanent jobs will have on the local community,” says Markus Gärtner, CEO Corrugated Packaging at Mondi.
The new paper machine is part of Mondi’s extensive €370m modernisation programme at the Ružomberok mill over the past two years. The fully integrated pulp and paper mill has undergone major upgrades including an automatic warehouse storage area for end products, a recycled paper line, a recycled storage area. Work was also undertaken to improve the wastewater treatment plant. It now produces biogas as a by-product which is used at the plant’s boilers, consequently reducing the mill’s use of fossil fuels. Avoiding waste, keeping materials in circulation and reducing its own greenhouse gas emissions in line with science-based targets are a key focus of MAP2030, Mondi’s 10 year Action Plan on sustainability.
- Two Kraft Top White containerboard grades are produced on the PM19: ProVantage Smartwhite and ProVantage Topwhite
- Available with FSC® or PEFC® certification to meet demand for responsibly sourced materials
- Machine width: 5.30 metres
- Production capacity: 300,000 tonnes per year
- Recycled paper consumption: more than 200,000 tonnes per year
Innovations in Food (& Beverage) Processing & Packaging is a quarterly magazine distributed globally both in Print and Digital formats. www.innovationsfood.com. Twitter: @Innovfoodtech. Instagram: @innovationsinfoodtechnology. Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/terry-prior52